Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

It is also inherent in the panel shape

A uniform shape (such as a Square) would be a real no no due to the very strong (high Q) modes that will be generated from the symmetry of the shape. A rectangular panel will have strong resonances as well and this is because when it is tight it will have refelctions, if it is loose then it will have a very low resonance that is likely never to be excited (eg. Apogees ribbon midranges have a resonance in the single digit Hz range while they crossover in the 300-500Hz range). Clearly the Magnepan panels have strong modes due to the shape and the tensioning.

Clearly this can be used to offset cancellation effects, but not entirely at the resonance itself. I heard this to some extent with my Acoustats (particularly the 1+1s and almost not at all with the 4400) and less so with the Apogees. If you lower the Q of the resonance by distribution of tension in the panel and by having a non-uniform shape it works generally better and in the case of the bigger apogees pushes the resonance almost below all music excitation (very little music at 30Hz).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.