Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: How can anyone be so consistantly wrong?

"First of all, the sound associated with the acoustics is NOT on the recording."

Can you actually be serious?? The acoustics and decay of instruments in a real space is easily heard on recordings. How is possible that this information is NOT on the recording?? This information comes to the microphone in the same manner as the direct sound, just softer and shifted in frequency balance. The microphone doesn't care when it arrives nor does the recorder. On the playback if your gear and speakers preserve the phase realtionships between direct and reflected sound and preserves the lowest level signals then your brain does the same thing to separate the reflected from direct just as it would in a real concert hall. I can clearly hear reflected sounds in the hall as well as the settling of instrument decay. It is a pity that you don't even reailze this information exists on the recording.

"There are no special requirements in the sense of "low level resolution" "

Of course there is. Do you deny that reflected sound and room decay are not much lower in level than the main signal? Sometimes more than 50db below the main signal. Information retrieval is crucial to creating an accurate acoustic space of the original recording, whether you have 2 or 10 speakers.

"acousticians are tweaking the architectural shape, materials, and baffles in concert halls to mold sound to their conception of ideal."

Again and again you are confusing the real thing with reproduction. No one here is doubting the benefit of a properly prepared room, whether for listening live or listening reproduced. The only way to have a truly correct reproduction of a venues acoustic is to have zero contribution from the room you put the stereo system into. IMO, puttnig more speakers all around the room could possibly exaccerbate the problem by exciting more room modes and generating even a greater contribution of the listening rooms own acoustical properties. Either way you haven't taken the listening room out of the equation so the soundfield is still a convolution of the recorded space and the actual listening room space. Nobody follows up your link because it is simply irrelevant to reproduced music. It is great if one wants to make their own music hall for live concerts but the criteria are most certainly different.

"What do you know about it? You never saw it, you don't understand it, and you aren't really interested in it anyway."

I know AR speakers from the past (and they were off the pace even in the 1970s with the exception of good bass). So you tinkered and added a better tweeter. I bet the integration between the drivers is less than ideal. Did you at least use a good active crossover? It might interest you though to know that I find 90+% of the things I heard at shows to be less than convincing. Many designers have crap for ears or don't really care about sound. That doesn't mean that the SOTA hasn't improved, it has in many ways, especially in electronics (I too have older speakers...from the late 80s early 90s).

"Funny, even though it offers real hope, few have even bothered to explore what possibliities it offers."

Well, soundmind it can mean only two things: 1) it was ahead of its time and maybe if you are lucky it will be rediscovered and used or 2) No one cares because it is not all you think it is and others dismiss it. Care to give the patent number so I can look it up?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.