Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What happens when you expose yourself to loud noise without hearing protection?

As each individual instrument has its own characteristic sound, you can only generalize but of course there are exceptions. The greatest violin whose sound I am most familiar with is a Guanari del Jesu. It's power is absoultely phenomenal. It is hard to believe you are hearing a violin which sounds as loud as a trumpet. I have heard this instrument in my own home, in other homes, and in concert halls including Carnegie Hall. And like all such instruments, it has a well documented history of its former owners. I am not going to mention the owner's name. Generally Strads have a reputation as being sweeter sounding but less powerful. They are therefore preferred in smaller venues or when playing with smaller groups or solo recitals. The Guanaris are preferred for their big sound when the performance calls for a major concerto with a symphony orchestra in a large hall. They usually have a greater ability to "cut through" and give people in the cheap seats up in the clouds their money's worth. The secrets of the great violin makers of Cremona died with them. Violin makers ever since have been trying to figure out how they did it but to this day, nobody knows for sure. Sadly, many of them are reaching the end of their lives and we will probably never see their like again.

BTW, there is a recording made by Rugerio Ricci called "The Glory of Cremona" on Decca which showcases many different great violins. On a companion disc, he plays the opening of the Bruch concerto on each one. When asked to comment about this recording, an artist I knew well said what difference does it make, his playing style tends to mask their differences.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.