Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: How can anyone be so consistantly wrong?

"Most of the information just isn't there on the recording, there's nothing to retrieve. As for playing sound softly, most audio systems can do that. That's not the hard part."

Completely false and it is at the soft end of the spectrum where most systems fail utterly. This is why there is so much talk about having to turn up the volume in order to "wake up" the speakers. There is plenty of low level ambient and acoustic field information on better classical recordings. Most systems play well only in a very small loudness window, usually between about 70-90 db. Below that they lose the ability to keep complicated passages clear and above they start to suffer audbile compression and/or distortion. The better a system can play soft often the more realistic it sounds.

An example:
I have a recording made with a single stereo ribbon microphone (from Royer labs) that uses a blumlein configuration. The recording is of a full orcehstra playing Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. The microphone was placed 6 meters from the front of the stage. It sounds very similar to live in a very good system and a disaster in most systems. It has TONS of acoustic information and has such a wide dynamic range that unless your system excels at low levels you have to turn it up way too loud for the peaks (classic problem in a car with classical music). It does not sound like its in a tunnel, it sounds like a concert hall. I would argue that until you have made or heard recordings of this sort yourself then you are merely speculating about the result. I can hear the results and to me it sounds much more realistic than a multimiked session.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: How can anyone be so consistantly wrong? - morricab 13:44:17 08/27/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.