Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Again you miss the point; but I've learned to expect that. nt

Dan, are you stupid? You pick one of the cheapest "hifi" amps on the market and blame its noise on lack of negative feedback, even though it is a Class D design where noise of the sort you measured is par for the course feedback or not.

You also blame its sonic character on the fact that it has no feedback, ignoring the other more obvious factors that would make an amp sound bad when the going gets tough; namely a cheap ass underpowered and underspecified power supply.

From this HIGHLY FLAWED example you draw conclusions about all negative feedback amps as if they all behave like a cheap ass Class D amp that should have been left driving cheap ass subwoofers for hometheater-in-a-box.

If you look at the links I gave you above you will see that nearly ALL Class D amps measure like the Panasonic. Most have plenty of negative feedback.

Your point was blantantly obvious. You wanted to "prove" that subjectively a no feedback amp can't sound good and must be contaminated with tons of noise (in band or out of band). The fact is that I know of SET amps (of course with no feedback) that are so quite they don't even make a whisper with 100+db/watt speakers. And at low power measure better than most SS amps at the same low power.

Think I'm wrong about your point?
"I have had the misfortune recently to listen to two units that had no negative feedback" This sets the tone.

"Both of these units had much in common: they both clouded up when the music got dense, and both had objectionable and very audible noise" Implication: bad sound must be due to lack of feedback.

"Some folks may appear to like these characteristics, I find it takes away valid and important musical information that I would like to hear." Assumption: These pieces sound bad so all non-feedback gear sounds bad and people must love it for these charactertistics.

"I will assume at this point considering my experience, that folks who think negative feedback is the curse of audio, prefer the noise and lack of information units without negative feedback give."
Assumption: People prefer noise not music and I am the only one who knows the difference. Nevermind if these units are not representative of non-feedback gear as a whole.

Jesus, Dan! A non-feedback Class D amp is not representative of ANYTHING. In fact it is the only one I know of. It certainly doesn't relate to all those non-feedback linear amp designs (which have little to no noise out of band for starters).

I will grant you that the noise is probably affecting the sound quality because I have heard problems with every Class D amp I have auditioned.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.