Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What happens when you expose yourself to loud noise without hearing protection?

"FYI, I ALWAYS depend on the listening input of others"

Have they also been exposed repeatedly and for prolonged periods to loud rock? Do they also prefer to listen to music which is performed through electronically amplified instruments? Why would their opinions be any more reliable?

"I'm sorry, but when you learn what audio quality is, you always seem to know the difference."

What a self serving, and pretentious statement. For someone who makes judgements ultimately based on audible evaluations alone, not only don't you keep your ears calibrated by constantly feeding them a diet of unamplified musical instruments, not only is the accuity of your hearing in question if due to nothing else than your age, but you have a self admitted history of having exposed it to abuse which might have led to permanent impairment. Your listening instruments are hardly of the caliber of your electronic instruments yet these are what you rely on. And then you ask me to trust your hearing and that of your acquaintenances who for all I know are in exactly the same boat you are in.

" I doubt that you even know what it is, as yet."

There's hardly a day that goes by when I don't listen to or play my 1927 Steinway, or hear live violin music. Sometimes I'll even sit at my Baldwin. That's the quality of sound I have the good fortune to listen to and use and use as a reference. And I must say that at the VTV show as in most other consumer audio shows I've ever been to and at most retailers I've ever been to, ALL of the audio equipment on display is invariably demonstrated using types of music which will tell me absolutely nothing about the equipment's relative merits and shortcomings and the other people who frequent them don't even bother to bring their own recordings. If I don't take this industry or the people who work in it seriously, perhaps this partly explains why.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.