Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: What happens when you expose yourself to loud noise without hearing protection?

"Generally Strads have a reputation as being sweeter sounding but less powerful"

This is not mine nor my girlfriend's impression when we DIRECTLY compared a Guarneri del Gesu to a Strad. The strad sounded sweeter, brighter, and most definitely more powerful. The Guarneri sounded darker and still powerful. Her sister also played a Guarneri for some time and the one she had was also darker in character. The prettiest sounding violin she had was the Guadagnini but it was less powerful and more suitable for chamber concerts. The Strad she had sounded absolutely wonderful in Tonhalle's smaller concert hall (still pretty big for a solo violin). In my apartment it could make your ears pulsate (literally). No violin is as loud as a trumpet or trombone.

That being said it varies greatly from instrument to instrument as one would expect for such handmade devices.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What happens when you expose yourself to loud noise without hearing protection? - morricab 08:19:45 08/24/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.