Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

clear as mud - some points of clarification

1) What you're quoting relating to PG's (well, his partner's) XO mod and efficiency is a myth (at best). Such would be easily quantified, but I haven't seen it so.

2) I don't think anyone ever claimed that any Magnepans were "the best speakers on earth" - only that they are damn good, and far better than anything else one can buy at their price points (IMO).

3) I'm pretty sure Magnepan designs the best XO they can for each model. They had reasons for using such a complex XO design for the 3.6 and they have reasons for going with a simple XO in the 3.7, which, by the way, have nothing to do with what Magnestand does or claims.

4) People have been using tube amps with Maggies as long as there have been Maggies, or have you forgotten about the early relationship between ARC & Magnepan?

5) I've said it before and I'll tell you once more; I wanted try a tube amp. I was curious about the pairing. I've read much from Maggie owners who are also bottleheads, and I wanted to gain some firsthand experience. I KNEW that I didn't need the power of the X350 because its meter was shouting that fact at me - subsequent to my introducing the Bryston 10B Sub XO. I decided that it was time to hear a lower power solution and I was very curious about how a different amp would sound when compared to the Pass X350. I had an opportunity to experiment, so I am. I don't give a damn what the outcome of the experiment is. I am taking this experiment seriously, but I am having FUN with it.

6) You are the one who introduced this whole 'love fest' concept. I'm just sharing simple opinions and details.

7) If I keep the VAC, I will be placing an order ($900) for a backup set of tubes (at least one), which I will keep in a cabinet in the cave. If a tube were to 'die', a replacement would be right here. Tube replacement is part and parcel of tube equipment ownership, but it's not exactly a monthly occurrence. Every tube that's in the VAC that I purchased is original and I haven't had to touch a bias pot yet.

8) If I decide to keep the Pass, it will be because I decided there isn't a 'sound' justification for the more expensive VAC (and I might have a go at a pair of class A mono blocks).

9) This isn't about 'talking myself into or out of' anything. This is about discovery (see #5). I'm listening to what each has to offer. It's up to one of them to convince me that it should be the one to stay. My logbook is an effort at impartiality. When something strikes me (either positive or negative), I make a note of it. I have some very detailed notes regarding certain passages of music - I find it's more reliable than memory.

10) You're still on about this being my one and only tube amp. That's not exactly true. I had a Marshall guitar amp for decades and guess what it used - yep, tubes. I maintained tube equipment decades ago too, so it's not exactly my first foray into tube-land. Besides, whether you recognize it or not, this was a well considered purchase. If it were a Ferrari 458 Spider, would you wish me good luck with my one convertible sports car?

Edits: 01/25/12 01/25/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.