Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: very old information

Morriscab said:

"I am not sure where you get your information about tube guys but most don't want overtly warm or distorted sounding amps. They also don't want sterile, flat sounding amps."

I couldn't agree more with your statement, what many don't realize, the distortion for the most part is not audible to the human ear in a high-end tube amp, rather it adds character.

Morriscab also noted:

"A tube amp with output transform is only as good as that transformer. If the sound is "tubey" it is most likely distortion from the output transformer. The better it is and the less distortion it makes the more "neutral" a tube amp will sound and the better it will control the bass. Developments in transformers did not stop and the best audio transformers are available today, not 50 years ago."

I disagree with your last sentence and would in most instances, take a 50 or 60 year old hunk of iron over what it being made today. There is magic in some of those old transformers that cannot be manufactured today. But that is my opinion and may not be steeped in quantitative data, just my ears.

Morriscab, I need to make a comment about Single Ended Triode, while it is the purest form of triode, most if not all high-end tube amps that allow the owner/user to switch into triode have actually designed their amp to sound best in triode, not that running in pentode will suffer the consequences and most and the emphasis is on most, could not discern the difference between triode and pentode in a blind listening test.

I also wouldn't be as harsh to say that there aren't some SS amps that can produce the soundstage of a good tube...I might have to go to the upcoming Audio Show in Newport Beach and listen for myself before I make such a bold statement one way or the other. I only posted what one observer found to be what he heard.

The trained human ear can outperform any test gear IMHO and we need to trust our ears more than test data.

Jim

Nothing Sounds Better Than Tubes To My Ears! The Asylum where slander/libel is rampant...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.