Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: no argument - no problem

Brad:

Sorry, but you are wrong on this, it is one of the major differences between McIntosh and Marantz and their respective amp designs. The other is that McIntosh uses the output tubes grid to attain the wattage they do and this means they can only run in Pentode.

You can disagree all you want, but what is, is and there isn't any feedback loop in the schematics or application of a Marantz Model 9, end of discussion about it.

Many opine that it is the scarcity of the Marantz Model 9's that drive the price, over McIntosh, but the truth lies in the design and neutrality of the Marantz. It is one of the only amps that was reissued where the price went up and not down and was sold out immediately. Not because of collectibility, but because of quality and a timeless design and build.

No doubt, I'm a bit defensive against the mis-truth's and misstatement's of fact. Even worse those who pan something based on bias or misconception.

One thing is for certain, we are proud knuckleheads, who go our own path. I thought I was loopy for pairing a 70watt tube thing with Magnepan's that rate at only 84db (I think they're closer to 87 with the upgraded x/o) and you a 30watt SET on a pair of Apogee's.

When I think back to when I was 17, as that was the first time I got goose bumps listening to a stereo and then almost 40 years later and I still do, it's pretty amazing, don't you think?

Jim

Nothing Sounds Better Than Tubes To My Ears! The Asylum where slander/libel is rampant...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.