Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Are you *really* paying attention, or...

Huh?

For years, the D-76 was a popular amp for driving Maggies. Using moderately powered tube amps on Maggies is nothing new. Whether that got all out of them that could be gotten probably depended on how loud you liked to listen.

People don't seem to understand that the difference between 100 and 1000 watts is, subjectively, only a doubling of loudness. People also don't seem to get that subjective loudness depends on short-term averages, *not* peaks, and that acoustical music has a 10-20 dB peak/average ratio.

A 10 watt amp will give you about 95 continuous decibels out of a pair of Maggies. That's going to sound pretty loud. It won't sound very good, though, because the peaks will be gone.

RMS figures don't tell you all that much about peak capability, or recovery from overload, or how audible clipping is. Amps with a given RMS power rating can in practice vary pretty widely.

As to talking oneself into and out of something, it seems to me that Wazoo has done quite the opposite -- he's trying it to see if he likes it. I'm sure he can decide for himself whether the sonic benefits of the amp are worth a bit of trouble and expense.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.