Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I really feel sorry for you guys who have never gotten the Maggie . . .

LOL! In the general spirit of things, I agree with you. Though I've been looking into - and testing - a few subwoofers, I still default to listening to my MMGs with no sub almost always.

To be fair, I truly don't need the sub for most music because I was lucky to get much bass in this setup. Down to the physical limits of my MMGs, bass is very substantial AND detailed. The latter being the point, of course. Why muddle up that detail at the bottom!

Last evening it was a brass and, later, piano listening session that reminded me strongly of this subject. As I listened to the lower registers of a trombone being joined by a sousaphone, I rejoiced at the rich textures and their strengths, plus the ability to clearly tell them apart. Just for kicks, I turned on the subwoofer, which was crossed at 40hz. Sure enough, it spoiled the party right away, so off again it went. A better sub would do far less damage, I am sure.

Later, along with my wife, we ran a few Dave & Don Grusin piano pieces. I always kind of pinch myself at the richness of tone and texture with which some of the low register passages manage to reproduce at such strengths. With usable SPL strength that reaches 40hz, most of the piano fundamantals are well covered, and the textures belie what this kind of Maggie is supposed to do. And then there are the larger Maggies, which can do even better, as we know.

In any event, a subwoofer may easily add extension. Yet, detail & texture, requires a hard-to-achieve superb integration. Which is where I am in less agreement with you. A challenge is a challenge and we all enjoy having some. Don't shy away from it just because it is hard to achieve. It certainly is not impossible. My approach is that, for now, the sub-woofer has a lower priority than other opportunities; a rolling horizon kind of thing.

For all the substantial music enjoyment that we can have with Maggies, there is no way that we can get everything down below with them only. For example, I am -- for now -- barred from enjoying the best of what organ music can offer down at the bottom. I want this back and no Maggies alone will give it to me...but I can wait.

After all, in the general spirit of things, you are right. There is a ton of good music that plain Maggies can deliver quite richly if we prevent the wrong subwoofer from spoiling it.

Edits: 01/26/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I really feel sorry for you guys who have never gotten the Maggie . . . - JBen 12:28:25 01/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.