Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: It's the MOSFET driver stage. /nt\

Yes, and I can tell how much difference the MOSFET make. In addition, I have a 1000a, also designed by J Curl but for a different market and with no MOSFET.

When you look at their schematics, and then look at their insides, both their solid design and careful construction similarities are evident. The parts measure the same type of attention to tolerances and precision matches of components.

The fact that the 1000a does not feature the MOSFET trannies comes to bear when you hear them under similar load conditions (keeping in mind the lower power of the 1000a.) It certainly is a nice-sounding piece but as soon as one switches to the 1500a, the extra smoothness kicks in.

While driving in class A, at rather low volumes, one can also hear the 1500a pretend that tubes don't matter and it almost gets away with it. If I get another 1500a for a good price, I'll give it just the tweeters, which should keep it in class A longer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.