Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: very old information

"audible to the human ear in a high-end tube amp, rather it adds character. "

Got to disagree with you there, Jim. Either its inaudible or it adds character. Can't see how it could be both. It is the absence of audible character that allows top high end tube and hybrid amps to shine. So called "neutral" amps that are flat, grey, lifeless sounding things have AUDIBLE "character", which we hear as NOT lifelike.

"take a 50 or 60 year old hunk of iron over what it being made today. There is magic in some of those old transformers that cannot be manufactured today. But that is my opinion and may not be steeped in quantitative data, just my ears.
"
Most of them have measureable and audible distortion...at least in the application they were used. It is more of a design awareness.

"I need to make a comment about Single Ended Triode, while it is the purest form of triode, most if not all high-end tube amps that allow the owner/user to switch into triode have actually designed their amp to sound best in triode, not that running in pentode will suffer the consequences and most and the emphasis is on most, could not discern the difference between triode and pentode in a blind listening test.
"

I am also talking about PP true triode and not just SET. Often true triode PP can be run without negative feedback and often the other ones cannot.

"I also wouldn't be as harsh to say that there aren't some SS amps that can produce the soundstage of a good tube"

I have only heard one: Edge NL reference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.