Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

bias points

Wazoo:

When I got my Marantz's, I was told when I replaced the original tubes, which were still very strong, to set the bias a little shy of the preset point on the meter. I did and haven't looked back.

When I got my Dynaco ST70 (when I was building my B Sytem), the bias point is 1.57mv and I played around with it for about a month to find the "sweet spot", and it turned out to be 1.48mv. Everything just seemed to bloom right there. Understand, I put NOS Mullards in and even though they were new tubes, after several hundred hours later and having burned in, I still find that between 1.45 and 1.50 is where they sparkle and just seem more relaxed.

I don't need to use a multimeter to bias the Marantz's, but I suspect they too are about 5% under the recommended bias point.

If you get the inclination, try biasing your VAC a bit cooler and see if you get more love out of it.

Jim

Nothing Sounds Better Than Tubes To My Ears! The Asylum where slander/libel is rampant...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.