Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 3.6r amp selection

Back in the day, the D-76 was pretty much the standard amp on Maggies. Being a poor kid, I just had a Hafler DH-220 on my 1-D's, but twice the solid state watts probably gave you about the same subjective loudness and usually, the tweeter fuse would go before the amp gave out.

Also, RMS watts is a pretty inaccurate way of comparing amps, it isn't what limits performance and amps with a given power rating vary widely in their peak headroom and the rate at which they recover from clipping -- by at least a factor of two.

We do seem to be able to tolerate a certain amount of clipping without hearing it, particularly with tube amps that in effect start to compress rather than lop off.

On the other hand, measurements and straightforward calculatios show that most consumer speakers can't reproduce the maximum instantaneous peaks of the very loudest acoustical music, and with inefficient speakers like Maggies, you need a super amp to get up to that kind of level with an undistorted waveform. Also, most consumer systems don't have the ease at high levels that the big studio systems do. It's just about the only area in which I found the sound in the studio superior to the sound we hear at home. But I do think it's an area in which our systems fall short. We'd need to be able to cleanly reproduce 125 dB SPL peaks at the listening seat to do that in every case and we're lucky if we get 115, and that not very clean.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.