Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: You have made a number of interesting posts

Thanks, but sorry, that's your definition of accuracy, not mine. Mine is much simpler and much more quantifiable. Let's say the component you're evaluating is an amplifier. Take a comprehensive set of measurements of the signal going into the amplifier and a comprehensive set of measurements of the signal coming out of the amplifier. The amplifier that doesn't change the signal at all is absolutely transparent. Pretty rare, I'd guess. What's not all that rare is the one that doesn't change the signal audibly, when compared to the reference amp, assuming the reference amp itself is designed for high fidelity to the source, not a "house sound," and is of very high quality, and assuming the two amps both generate enough current and wattage to properly drive the transducers without driving them into clipping.

I would love it if "transparency" could be defined relative to real instruments, but there are far too many compromises, beginning with the very first component in the signal chain, the microphone. Measuring and listening for the transparency of components relative to the source signal and a reference system, however, is not impossible and is done effectively all of the time. Belief in measurement is not popular in audiophile circles, and a lot of mythology and mystery has been built up over the last couple of decades to dismiss it, but it is, actually, a pretty reliable indicator of how both trained and untrained listeners will respond in listening tests. Go to Sean Olive's (Research director for Harman International) blog, Audio Musings. It hasn't been running that long; you can probably read through the entire archives in a couple of hours. You will be enlightened.

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You have made a number of interesting posts - Phelonious Ponk 17:19:04 07/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.