Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Disagreed

Well, I'm certainly not a denialist by your definition. I believe there are differences, but I often disagree with the quality of them. And I'm afraid we completely disagree on the state of the industry and the effect it has had on progress. I believe, in fact, that studio and "mid-fi" audio has taken huge leaps forward in the last couple of decades while much of the high end has stagnated in it's own denial...denial of science, engineering and measurement. Present company excepted, of course, but so much of the high-end seems to believe that the distortions and colorations of old analog systems are somehow more "natural" than a more faithful reproduction of the recording that there are even DACs are built with analog output sections promised to add warmth and a more "analog-like sound." When it is made clear that these are colorations, we're told measurements don't matter. When the measurement are too compelling to be denied, we're told that it's all subjective and that the preferred color while not technically more accurate, is more "musical."

The end result is that audiophile publications rarely measure anything anymore, or subject it to any kind of rigorous scrutiny at all, they simply express opinions and pass purely subjective judgements, audiophile customers follow suit, and manage to believe that coloration and bandwidth limitations are somehow more "resolving," and audiophile manufacturers cater to the above, selling sometimes obscenely expensive kit that, at least to my ears, just sounds sloppy at one end and edgy at the other.

There are many exceptions of course...well, I can't think of many in the publications, but there are many among audiophiles and enough among the vendors. But there are far too many that are not exceptions, and I think THAT has stagnated much of the audiophile world while the best "midfi" got pretty darned good and the better pro playback systems, even the small, affordable ones, got downright awesome. I would personally take a lossless file, a good pro DAC and a pair of the better small active monitors/sub over absolutely any high-end vinyl/tube system I've ever heard. No exceptions.

YMMV, of course. Good discussion.

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Disagreed - Phelonious Ponk 17:15:16 06/27/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.