Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: GAMUT CD players

I don't know the GAMUT, but of course you have to begin with the source. Measure the source. Listen to the source. insert a component - your preamp - into the signal chain. Judge the effect, with ears, and instruments. The component that you can't hear, inserted in an existing signal chain, is transparent. That's what the term means in this context, and the process described above is done by guys running studios all the time. Is it absolutely objective? Of course not. The measurements, to the extent that you believe in them, come pretty close. They can be verified by rigorous, statistically significant blind listening tests, though they seldom are.

Regarding builders who deliberately color the signal, there have been many DACs and preamps advertised to make digital audio sound "more analog." Other audiophile gear adds "warmth," or is "more musical." More "musical" than what? Other manufacturers have talked about how their products have more "PRaT." What do you think these folks are talking about? If their objective was the simple, unaltered reproduction of the recording, if that was even the audiophile's objective, the language would be very different.

I'm not sure if you're being argumentative or simply naive. Can I, or anyone, "prove" that one piece of gear more accurately re-produces the signal it is given than another (ie: is more transparent)? It can only be proven to those who believe in measurement and/or blind listening tests. And of course many audiophiles, unsatisfied with their subjectivity, usually do not.

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.