Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

There Is a Company that Follows Your Ideals...........

"We demand a detachable power cord on our components. Why should a component designer try to isolate his system from external noise when the audiophile is so willing to do it for him?"

Because no noise isolation method is unequivocally the best, and what might work best with a component in one system might not be so ideal with that same component in another system.

What's wrong with having a choice?

"I mean let's get real some of us actually believe susceptability to external noise signifies a high resolution system and upgrading power cords is a requirement to get the best sound."

It might be susceptibility to noise, it might be power transfer...... Or EMI/RFI mitigation...... There are a lot of factors, even from a technical perspective, in regard to which power cord might be ideal.

If you think one can design a power supply that is non-susceptible to noise, you are only fooling yourself..... All decent line conditioners *reduce* susceptibility, but not *eliminate* it. (There are probably some bad ones out there that don't.) But no two power conditioners handle susceptibilities exactly the same way.

Or to state it a different way, there is no "one size fits all" approach to line power conditioning. Each system in each environment poses unique challenges.

"This is mostly a design decision, the manufacturer can slap the receptical and the back and save money on isolating the power supply."

Why force someone into a permanent decision where he can otherwise choose his "isolation"? (Not all line conditioners are for isolation, by the way.)

"He can sell the gear for higher profits and reap the benefits of buyers believing his gear is so resolving it deserves the added expenditure."

You really think one who omits isolation from a PS design would charge the same price?

You're conjuring up a frivolous basis for argument, IMHO......

"I might concede that such an option should be available but I can't for the life of me think such an option, ie. an upgraded power cord, should make a difference in most situations."

I in most part agree...... But just state it kindly...... Only then might people actually think about it.

"But of course it does and hey why should we dis the component makers for maximizing their profits at our expensve especially when we believe the stuff we are buying needs the upgrades because it is so good."

Because the notion that a component should perform at its best without any consideration for adjustment is next to impossible to achieve in reality...... It might be perfect in a designer's system, but the variables vary too much for each individual.

The only company that has successfully manufactured products per your ideals is Bose....... The one product line where people plug straight into the wall, and enjoy the music....... But it is still a compromise....... The catch is the sound is watered down to be made predictable, yet pleasant enough to satisfy people not-so-demanding for sound reproduction.

"Its a joke and an embarrassment that audiophiles have been led to believe such garbage."

It's a joke only because you want it to be a joke.......

"Unfortunately it's real and not an illusion. I just wish audiophiles had a better handle on this issue than the more resolving means more noise crap some of you have been spewing around here for years."

Sounds like you hate free speech....... If someone states something erroneous, kindly correct him........ Just calling people "clueless" won't accomplish anything.

"Get a clue!"

Unfortunately, I don't find what you stated here constructive...... You must first provide the means and ideas so people can "get a clue."

Edits: 06/22/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.