Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

If you want to listen to 2 discs

Just kidding, from someone who has no interest in classical music, - SACD or hi-rez simply is not available. But that's another story for another day.

AND, - not to be overly obnoxious, - there IS a big disparity between redbook players. If you don't have that experience, - then I don't want to be obnoxious, (again), but I'd humbly suggest that you seek out more players.

I've had an Arcam FMJ, an Audio Aero, a NAD, an AYRE, and an APL all playing redbook in and out of my system and the differences were pretty big. There's a lot of testimony out there too, corroborating big differences in CDPs.

Plus having a player on hand that is great with both redbook and SACD; IME, there are more than a few great redbook recordings out there that rival in sound quality to SACDs. And a few SACD recordings that are WORSE sounding than their redbook counterparts, Jazz at the Pawnshop, the Simple Minds, and the Pixies SACDs are most notable here. There are also some excellent Reference Recordings in redbook that are excellent and rival their SACD counterparts. In players like Meitner, Ayre, Esoteric, Audio Aero, and APL, - the redbook sections are so good that they are very close to many SACDs. YMMV

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • If you want to listen to 2 discs - Sordidman 15:46:18 06/29/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.