Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: "faithful" is a terribly subjective, undefined term

"You would rather own a system that encompasses your version of accuracy instead of someone's version of beauty: that's great for you. But please don't try to say that your vague and undefined version of accuracy is "better" or "objective" (as it's quite subjective), than someone elses."

Let's just say we are using words like transparency and faithful very differently. I'm talking about a signal exiting the component that is measurably unchanged from the one entering it. And I understand that measurement is imperfect, but I know it is still useful, because my ears tell me so. I can add a component to my signal chain that measures very well and the effect it has is extremely subtle, if audible at all. By contrast, I have put other components, the designs of which are known to color the sound, are even intended to color the sound (Often these components are not measured; their designers and proponents don't believe in measurement, imagine that) and the effect IS audible.

Whether or not you like that color is another question, of course. But transparency can be measured and it can be heard. It's not an effect. It is the lack of one.

p

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.