Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Stereo vs. multichannel: what are your thoughts on this statement (inside).

"Second, having actually read his columns, I disagree with Analog Scott that Olive "seems to be against the idea that taste in sound may actually vary from person to person." I don't think he's against that idea at all. Doing the kind of research he does, I'm sure he has observed it many times. What that research has revealed, though, is that more often than not, most people (and it cuts across age, sex, and listening experience) end up preferring the same stuff. Another thing it has revealed, over time, is that people's blind, subjective impressions of sound very often reflect what is seen in the measurements. Imagine that."

I may have over simplified my conclusions but much in the same way as I think Sean is trying to oversimplify things as well. I think with the idea of "majority rule" with preferences the minority do get dismissed. I get that choice for a manufacturer. But to make a blanket statement of superiority does imply that minority diversions in opinions and tastes are somehow wrong. They are classified as things such as "noise." It is that "noise" Sean seeks to eliminate in using mono tests. IMO he seeks greater clarity and unity in his results rather than actual "accuracy." If the results are more "noisy" in stereo than in mono does that not *possibly* mean that there is more to judge in stereo and different people of different tastes will diverge more from the median when there is more to consider in one's preference?

Image the "noise" he must get when he varies the program material. Kinda like what audiophiles do when they actually listen at home.....in stereo.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.