Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: A crock

"Why any engineer would choose lower (perceived) resolution or less than neutral response?"

Because the engineer is looking at the whole package, not just a single variable.

"I will restate my opinion. The numbers alone do not provide any useful information. "

I do not recall anyone (of note) claiming so, or do you evidence to the contrary?

>We have yet to measure RFI noise rejection

For amplifiers maybe because it is not particularly relevant, but RFI noise rejection is measureable and quoted on some products where it is a relevant metric.

"That increases noise and thus reduces dynamic range"

????, how could know you possibly know that without measurements or controlled tests. Increased noise and reduced dynamic ranges can occur as a result many other factors, to establish that it is caused by increased RFI requires measurements and controlled tests.

" If you were to compare two amplifiers with necessarily different spectral harmonic distortion plots, which one would you choose simply by looking at the spikes? Such information is more of a curiosity rather than providing any conclusive evidence."

For those that lack knowledge of how to correlate measurements to listening impressions you will be correct. However this scenario is not unique to audio but applicable to every area where measurements are used, and in a lot of cases it is simply down to a lack of knowledge on the side of the observer.

There is no explaining to do, those variables are measureable, however correlating them to listening observations requires some requisite knowledge.

Music making the painting, recording it the photograph

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.