Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: No, no, not the measurements

POLLYinFLA

Concerning the specs of the Stibbert you commented: I like those, although you consider them useless and meaningless, because we really can't measure everything, so we might as well measure nothing and just listen with the trusty ol' ghost hearing measurement devices only, the ears.

Once again POLLYinFLA you're succeeding only in showing your stupidity and arrogance. Not one subjectivist person I know believes ALL measurements are meaningless. This is unfortunately your poor mistaken impression of what subjectivists believe. Your mistaken postion is further clarified when to add your comment of: because we really can't measure everything, so we might as well measure nothing and just listen with the trusty ol' ghost hearing measurement devices only, the ears. But lo & behold even Dr. Linkwitz, the man whose speaker design you bastardized in an attempt to "improve" it uses his ears and trusted the ears of a friend OVER measurements to make final improvements when voicing his Orions. So why would you use this design or use some variation of it, "IF" using the ear as the final arbitrator is such a heinous thing as you appear to suggest? You're a real hypocrite POLLYinFLA, you use a variation of speakers that were finally voiced by trusting the ear and then you ridicule everyone else who does that exact same thing!

What subjectivists believe is there should be a measurement for EVERYTHING we hear. It's an unfortunate state of affairs that today's measurements as they're typically used in audio correlate very little with what we hear. Ask Tom Danley about that Polly! So POLLYinFLA as you're the one who bows at the altar of measurements, please tell me which measurement defines how high a soundstage will be? Which measurement defines how wide a soundstage will be? Which measurement defines how deep a soundstage will be? Which measurement defines how much "air" will be heard around the performers & instruments? Which measurement defines what a components resolution capabilities are? What measurement defines a components imaging capabilities? These are all important to me so please tell which measurements I need to read and how to interpret them. If you do that I'll use them, I promise! But until you do so I'll have to trust MY ears, not some ghost's ears.
===================================================================
POLLYinFLA continues with: No, I was talking about all that crap around the CD drawer. Is that cube like a Borg ship, where it's picked up all that other junk or is the entire thing the cd player? Is that some sort of clamp?

I'm quite sure you don't really care about this CDP at all but instead are yet again attempting to ridicule or provoke me. However in case anyone does care. The BlueNote Stibbert's actual CDP itself is the gray box that hangs down from the black acrylic plinth. It is completely isolated via 4 conical springs. The main plinth of the CD player chassis, just as the Bluenote analog record players, is made of a 20mm thick black acrylic shaped like the Ferrari Formula 1 steering wheel. This special shape, was purposely designed to have totally non-parallel edges, which increases enormously the structural rigidity. The implementation of the design is to virtually eliminate any vibration feedback.
=====================================================================
Now POLLYinFLA I don't know why you insist on asking me questions like: How would that Stibbrt have improved upon the sound of Dr Geddes RMAF demo if substituted for the $50 Costco Toshiba?

As I've told you numerous times in the past, unlike you I don't comment on audio components I haven't heard. I will admit that if there wasn't a marked improvement that was immediately noticeable when inserting the Stibbert in place of a $50 Toshiba CDP, I'd be shocked! I can tell you this much because I heard it for myself, the Stibbert made a marked improvement when it replaced the Audiomecca KEOPS CDP I was previously using. The Audiomecca KEOPS also made a marked improvement when it replaced the CAL DX2 I used before it. As for the difference between a $50 Toshiba and the $5000 Stibbert I BELIEVE it would be so dramatic that even you'd comment about the differences heard. However until I heard it for myself I cannot promise it would be so, but I believe it would be so with all my heart.

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: No, no, not the measurements - thetubeguy1954 11:32:48 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.