Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Hello POLLYinFLA

To my comment of: Although it's *not the same model* I've heard the ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024, POLLYinFLA responded: Exactly.

I suppose POLLYinFLA's contention is that that because I haven't heard the precise model he's refering to, I have no idea about it's sound quality or lack of it. I readily admit there's a bit of truth to what POLLYinFLA suggests. However, I've noticed in that most manufactuers components tend to have a family sonic signature, thus my comments about ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024 which I admitted wasn't the same product.
====================================================================
Speaking about the ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024 I mentioned it was detrimental to soundtaging and subjectively added a harshness that only removing it fully cured. To this POLLYinFLA being the idiot that he is refrained from any intelligent or rational input and suggested about someone he doesn't know: Well, there could be several reasons, including the most likely, operator error! The man I am speaking of (Paul B.) is a professional recording engineer and one IIRC that Tom Danley holds in fairly high esteem. So I'm sure old bird-brain has it correct and the problems were "most likely" human error.

Next POLLYinFLA continues in his usual condescending manner by talking about things he believes cannot effect the sound as if they're the actual problem, when he stated: but also poor synergy with the power cord used, poor synergy with the IC used, poor synergy with the other components (non-pro?) etc., etc., so there's really no way to pin point anything to the unit itself.

This is more typical POLLYinFLA bird-brained, banter. It's quite easy to pin-point the problem as being the ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024. All we had top do was listen to the system before inserting the ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024. When it's out of the circuit the music sounds more harmonically correct with nice soundstaging. Next we simply add this additional audio component and listen again. Unfortunately when the the ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024 is in the circuit the music sounds less harmonically correct with worse soundstaging capabilities. I guess this procedure is too complicated for a bird brain like POLLYinFLA.
=====================================================================
Now when I commented that the ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024 was detrimental to soundtaging and subjectively added a harshness that only removing it fully cured. POLLYinFLA needed to come up with a way to defend his beloeved pro-solidstate gear. So POLLYinFLA claims this all assumes that what you are saying is not completely fabricated for effect. I'd like to respond by saying no one has ever caught me in a lie here, because I haven't lied. Second Tom Danley knows the person I'm speaking about, so you can believe what you will POLLYin(Tampax)FLA. Now as far as the story that POLLYinFLA believes I made up about once being an Objectivist (not Subjectivist you bird brain) that doesn't surprise me that not one Objectivist believed me! After all you guys want so desperately to believe you correct and simply cannot bear the fact that some of us wise up, listen with ears and see the fallacy of the Objectivist way.
POLLYinFLA asked Could this be similar? Well yes POLLYinFLA it is similar. It the exact same tactic objectivists always take, i.e deny the truth & misdirect. So in your attempt to misdirect POLLYinFLA now turns the topic to me by implying I'm upset with his comments of: Take several deep breaths before you answer that one, remember, this is the new, calm, non ranting Tom that was promised oh so long ago. Poor bird-brained POLLYinFLA. He cannot tell the difference from a long post and a rant. Just like he cannot tell the difference between a real audiophile's system and a system based on his bastardization of Dr Linkwitz's Orions, powered by multiples of pro-solidstate amps, using copious amounts of equalization (in an vain attempt to get some coherency)and all the extra wires these many amps and equalizers use. Instead of audio nirvana that sounds like the highway to audio hell.
In an effort to remain honest I stated: I'll readily admit I just assumed it was placed between the preamp & amplifier. It's quite possible I am mistaken and will need to ask the owner if that's how it was inserted or if it was done as copious suggested in their manuel. POLLYinFLA in another vain attempt at humour stated: Who is this Manuel you keep referring to? Is he the owner? I'm really confused here. It doesn't surprise me that old bird-brained POLLYinFLA couldn't follow I was refering to Behringer's audio manuel that accompanies their ULTRA-CURVE PRO DSP8024. What does surprise me is how POLLYinFLA readily admits something we've all been quite aware of here on PHP He's Confused!
When I TG54 commented that I originally posted to POLLYinFLA in a very civil manner, but his first few posts were filled with disparaging comments that refered to my amp as an euphonic noise generator, my speakers as floppy little cones and IIRC refering to me as Tubeboob. He constantly talks about my needing therapy etc.

POLLY the pompous ass said: Ok, first of all, I refer to the Mastersound as a Nutrasweetener, ie, an artificial flavoring, which I thought you would find as a compliment, seeing that is your sonic goal correct? NO! POLLYinFLA that isn't my goal. Unlike you and your highway to hell system, I'm attempting to get as close to the sound of live, unamplified music as I can get, period. Not some mis-conceived idea of what that should sound like!

Next in typical objectivist fashion he attempts to mis-direct by now turning the topic to be about me. For POLLYinFLA putrid, patronizing, pompous proclomation of: Plus, why do you take my remarks about your amplifier so personally, as if you are filled with self doubt about its true performance? Why the utter lack of confidence and not just laughing it off like I do your comments about my equipment?

This arrogant ass always assumes anything about another. POLLYinFLA what you really need to understand is I don't take your comments about my amp as being with any merit, let alone personally. If I was filled with this self doubt you want so desperately to believe I am, I would have sold the Mastersound by now. What you continually fail to understand is that I believe I hear amazing differences between how well the Mastersound Reference 845 replicates live unamplified music verses other amps I've heard and that's all that matters to me. I know without any question that my approach has resulted in a system which provides me with an emotional connection to music that I have seldom, if ever experienced with any other systems reproducing music. I have no need or desire to prove to you or anyone else how well my system replicates music. At one time you actually had the chance of hearing what your stereo (that is if replicating live unamplified music is your goal) should sound like. But your arrogance has forever ended that opportunity with me.

FYI I have owned some very nice and fairly expensive solidstate systems in the past. Unfortunately in the end I was never really happy with what I heard. Within 6 to 12 months of a new purchase I was always looking to upgrade the amp, preamp, CD player, interconnects and/or speakerwire. That all changed for me about 4.5 years back. One day I was bored and I started to read about SET amps on the internet. I couldn't believe ANYONE would want a 1 to 10w/ch amplifier! As if that wasn't crazy enough, these people were very restricted in their speaker choices as well. I just couldn't fathom why anyone would willingly make such as self-limiting choice. But a funny thing occured as I continued reading. I noticed one thing that really grabbed my attention. Almost all SET owners seemed to jump off the upgrade train after they purchased their SET amp. As I continued reading as much as I could find about SET's and their owners I noticed how happy they all seemed to be with their systems. That happiness with their systems is what caused me to decide to look into SETs for myself and that lead to my I buying the Mastersound. Then another funny thing happened, just like I read in the articles from SET owner's I too belived I never, ever heard a better amp (although I know there are better amps) Just like all the articles I read I was finally happy with my amp and my audio system. Just like the other SET owners I jumped off the "upgrade train." To this day completely happy with the sound of this amp. I'll own the Mastersound until one of us dies! I've owned the Mastersound for almost 5 years now and that's the longest I've ever owned ANY audio component without wanting to upgrade! I've never heard more realistic sound from any amp than I do using the Mastersound and I've never been happier with my audio system either.
POLLYinFLA asked me: What exactly is wrong with my comments about your floppy little poly cones that sound like real, live music? The "ONLY" problem is your constant disparaging of audio components you've never personally heard. The laughable part is these remarks are coming from a man whose personal audio system is composed of components that most audiophiles/music lovers here on PHP, even amongst the objectivists, would cringe at just the thought of hearing it!
POLLYinFLA also states: You only need use the search function to see that I have never called you anything like Tubeboob. Truth be told POLLY I'm not about to look through 100's of your unintelligent, unrational posts that simple berate, disparage & ridicule everyone & any component that isn't either a solidstate pro unit or some form of a speaker based on Dr Linkwitz's beliefs. Sorry but I have so many better things to do with my time.
C'mon now Tom, you're making that one up like the ol' you use to be a subjectivist thing and remember the you did the blind test thing and could easily tell differences tale? That was a great one! How about we just laugh together about stuff like that instead of all this raging pitbull being prodded business?

POLLYinFLA just because you don't believe something doesn't mean I'm lying or making it up. I'd appreciate your at least waiting until you catch me in a lie (which you'll never do) BEFORE accusing me of lying by making up stories to support my POV. The truth is I started my audiophile life as an Objectivist. I was about 15 and didn't believe a) wires could possibly sound different b) tubes were a viable audio technology. What's so difficult to accept about that? Thats what you believe even to this day! As far as the raging pitbull crap is concerned I attempted via an analogy to show you how YOUR behviour was no different than that of a child prodding a chained dog because they felt safe. As you continue on in that assinine childish fashion I believe someday, somewhere you'll prod a "dog" via comments like you constantly make here and either you'll misjudge the chain's length or the chain will break and you'll get bit. How you've twisted that in that bird-brain of yours into meaning I want to physically hurt you is something only you can understand. I was trying to help you , not hurt you.
Ok, now mark your calendar. I know you were crushed missing out on heading up to Chicago to hear your first real set of speakers, but now the show is coming to you! NSCA Expo 2007 is around the corner!
It should serve as a nice alarm clock for you.

POLLYinFLA you're such a pompous ass you don't know that I've already been exposed to Tom Danley's original "Unity Horn" design when he licensed a friend of mine (Nick) here in Florida to make them. Ask Tom Danley bout my friend who owned Lambda Acoustics. POLLYinFLA I've been exposed to so much more than you can imagine o bird-brained one. Yet in your pompous I know everything attitude you simply assume once I hear something you like (which I've already heard) my eyes will open, I'll see the errors of my ways and I'll agree with your POV. Keep dreaming bird brain.
POLLYinFLA asks: How about we share all the laughs and attend the show together? POLLYinFLA are you honestly so dense as to not understand that thought of meeting you disgusts me? I truely think you're mentally unstable. Anyone who gets his jollies out of trying to get a rise out of others by constantly ridiculing their audio choices & beliefs is NOT somone I'd want to meet, let alone hang out with! How many times do I have to tell you that I see your actions as an adult man who attempts to torment others with insults about their beliefs & choices in audio, because you feel safe hiding behind your moniker. Is exactly like a child tormenting a dog because he feels safe hiding behind the chain that holds the dog? Sorry POLLYinFLA I don't hang out with twisted, demented people who see it as fun & enjoyable to ridicule and torment others. But perhaps you can find another like yourself. You know birds of feather sort of thing!
Polly proclaims: You'll get see and hear what real amps, speakers, etc. sound like and have lots o' fun. POLLYinFLA I've seen and heard a lot of pro-solidstate gear Crown, Crest, QSC & BGW amps. Lots of pro speakers Westlake, JBL, Altec, Tannoy, Genelec, Mackie. KRK Systems, TAD & Tom Danley's Unity horns. I've also seen a good share of some of the best of home audio solidstate amps, Mark Levinson, Krell, Rowland, Edge, Ayre, OCM, Belles, Threshold, and while in England Musical Fidelity, Chord, Naim, Linn. As for tubed amps, Conrad-Johson, Acoustic Research, Lamm, Graaf, VAC, Berning, Sonic Frontiers, Wavac, BAT, Air Tight, Mastersound, Cary, KR Audio, McIntosh 275, Marantz 8B. For highend speakers I've heard the HQD (Hartley-Quad-Decca) Infinity IRS, Wilson Watt/Puppy & Alexandria, JM Labs Utopia, B&W 800D, Von Schweikert, Snell, Sonus Faber & Aliante and while in England Lumley, Quad, Spendor, Forsman (looked like a giant Karlson design to me. My point is I didn't by my present components without a lot of prior exposure to some really nice stuff, so I doubt you're going to be able to present me with any eye-opening news!
Finally old bid-brain. I play an Ovation guitar. I used to be in a band when I was much younger. I attend almost every concert WLOQ has in the summer 3/16/07 starts off a new season of live jazz concerts. Plus I go to the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center here in Orlando, Fla to hear symphonies, so I have plenty of exposure to live unamplified music. Thus I know how close my system comes to the real thing ---which is why you should have availed yourself of the opportunity to hear it BEFORE I knew what a pompous ass you are and rescinded my original invitation to visit my home. So whaddaya say?

I say I'm glad we never met!

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.