Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Razor your mags

Hey P,

-how long did it take you for the full razor

I originally did it over a couple of days going slow. THough recently i revisited it using a box cutter and once I got used to that method, I figure some one really determined could do each speaker in say 2-3 hours. Alot faster if you had a helper.

-can the cascade be cut on an art board cutter - you know the one in art class from grade school with the long arm that goes up and down to cut large pieces of canvas,paper, or mattes. Im sure it has another name besides art board cutter-just not sure what it is

Not sure. In the follow up post entitled more tips I muse about this. I dont know about you but those things always seem to have problems with paper so I am leery of saying yes, though I havent tried it.

-the cascade has metal on one side and some kind of polymer on the other with adhesive-correct? what if a polymer only dampening material was used. meaning would it sound better with no metal

Yep. The metal though acts AFAIK as the constraining layer on the constrained layer damping which the cascade sheets are. Dont worry about the metal, it actually helps it work better. There are some vinyl or asphalt only sheets that dont work as well as the ones with the metal.

-do you have any other mods youve done that worked well? and if so can you please demonstrate it the same way? meaning do it again do it again

The tweaks section on the planar asylum has a lot of the mods. One that isnt there is the choke tweak. You basically put a choke inline with the tweeter. On stock models insert the choke where the resistors would go for tweeter attenuation. Sorry but no write up of that. My speakers arent stock and it would just confuse more than help. Though i do seem to remember some inmate posting a pict of the mod.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.