Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Impressive, DR!! :-)) ...

Thanks Andyr. This was a good exercise as I thought it was super simple. But having done the write up I can see where there might be some confusion.

Anyhow to your questions.

1. You appear to still have MDF frames? Maaaate, you gotta get wood! Then your "razoring" will really come into its own!! :-))

More like a comment right?? Yep, still using the mdf. Did you see Accurus' post I linked in the writeup? He has wood frames on his mg10s and added did a Half Razor on the 10s with an improvement. Then he Half Razored his mdf 2.7s and has decided not to do the wood frames for the 2.7s. He claimed 90-100% of the results of a wood frame with 2% of the work involved with a Half Razor.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/messages/15/154951.html

But alas I do have the wood and one day will get around to it. I want to have wood like you Andy ;). But fwiw, I have my new speaker stand built which is made of wood and will hold the stock maggie frame. I want to put the mdf in that and see what effect the new frame has, and then I will jump to a wood frame for the mmgs. Though given my adherence to Neoliths procrastination philosophy, who knows when that will happen...and it will be a bit different than all the frame projects I have seen so there is a curve. But truth be told I am happy with the full razor treatment.

2. What do the "strips of rope caulk in the gap between the driver frame and the MDF" do?

Good question. I had removed the dynamat to show that it is reversible, and I recalled that many inmates use rope caulk to dampen things like cdps and amps, etc. So I tried it on the driver frame and the pole pieces. It did make an improvement but the dynamat was better. I figured that the rope caulk might handle different frequencies than the dynamat and it was easier to get it between the mdf and the driver, so I just kept it on. It is optional, but is so cheap and easy why not?

3. Why not put the Dynamat/Cascade on the horizontal reinforcing bars as well?

Yikes, I thought the write up would translate well into Aussie. Oh Well! You go vertically down the pole pieces which means the horizontal bars DO get covered. here is a pict when I was testing dynamat and rope caulk that shows what I mean:

If one wanted to put an extra horizontal strip across the vertical ones then I dont see a problem there.

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.