Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Razor your mags

I had some inmates asking about the "dynamat" tweak I have posted on before and promised to do a "how to", so here it is.

Materials List:

1.Cascade V-MAXMP Aluminium damping sheets*- Quantity 2 for a pair of mmgs
2. Rope Caulk
3. 3m Damping sheets (4x12 in the drop down)- OPTIONAL
4. Sharp Scissors or better yet, a box cutter or exacto knife and a metal ruler.
5. A steady hand (do not touch the mylar with any of the materials listed here)
6. A naked pair of mags.

* any constrained layer damping sheet can be used, such as Dynamat Extreme, Roadkill, Dampliner, etc. Cascade was chosen because it is black so it blends into the stock frame and driver, and it is easy to work with. Click here to make sure the Asylum gets credit if you purchase through Parts Express

Half Razor

1. Remove the socks on your maggies as detailed here

2. Find the side with the mylar and driver wires as this picture I borrowed from inmate Davey shows:

3. Press strips of the rope caulk in the gap between the driver frame and the mdf** as shown in the pict:

**DO NOT do the bottom horizontal strip with rope caulk or any other material . Maggies wires are on the bottom horizontal strip and are painted black to blend in to the driver frame. So leave that area alone unless you can see the driver wires and are confident you are not putting any kind of material on them, even then, it is best avoided. You can see in this picture where I have stripped away the painted wires by noting the 2 white lines on the left side of driver frame:

4. OPTIONAL. Cut little rectangles out of the 3m damping sheets and attach them to the driver frame at intervals on the top and sides of the driver(These sheets are sticky and do not touch the mylar with them. Err on the side of caution and cut the sheet so it wont come that close to the mylar) It will look like this picture:

5. Cut strips of the Cascade dampening sheet smaller than the driver frame and attach them to the frame at the top and side covering the rope caulk. (These sheets are sticky and do not touch the mylar with them. Err on the side of caution and cut the sheet so it wont come that close to the mylar). It will look like this pict:

TIP, put 2 layers if you can. I put dynamat extreme and then the Cascade

The Half Razor will improve the imaging and resolution of any mag, and is super easy to do. Here is what one inmate had to say after doing the Half Razor (just steps 1 & 5) on his mg 10s and then on his 2.7s.

Full Razor

1. Do a Half Razor

2. Turn the speaker so you can see the pole pieces which are on the opposite side of the mylar. The pole pieces are metal and have tiny tiny holes running vertically:

3. Cut and attach thin strips of Cascade all along the pole pieces covering the whole assembly while avoiding the tiny holes that run down the whole panel:

TIP: cut the tweeter strips smaller so the holes arent covered

TIP: use the part of the Cascade sheet that lacks adhesive to overlap the sheets with the previous ones

TIP: start with the non adhesive part at the top and work down

4. Put the socks back on and enjoy.

The Full Razor transforms the maggies and the effects seem to be more than cumulative. The Full Razor is easily twice the results of the Half Razor, if not more. Imaging and resolution are dramatically improved. It is amazing the potential mags have with a bit of effort.

And this tweak is reversible. Though I doubt you will want to remove it.

Thanks to PG for harping on the need to absorb vibration from the mag drivers. Thanks to Tim Murphy who proposed the dynamat idea back in 2001, though it looks like no one had tried it on maggies before. Mart for starting this forum and all the others that are pushing the envelope like Andyr, Davey, Hemholtz, and anyone else I forgot. This type of improvement is what this forum is all about.

Thanks to the other inmates like Accurus (linked above), Bibo01, and Dawit98 and Jben who have tried the Half Razor and reported back. And to the others that will eventually.

Enjoy!

D

Cut to razor sounding violins

Edits: 06/03/10 06/03/10 06/25/10 07/11/10 07/11/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Razor your mags - Dawnrazor 00:52:46 06/03/10 (80)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.