Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Razor your mags

Hey DR,

First the Radio Shack magnet wires and now Dynamat. You should write a book. Well, after looking for a few months and still looking for a cheap of pair of 2.5’s or IIIa’s to come my way, I decided to do try to squeeze out a bit more from my modified SMGa’s and try your tweak. My SMG’a are hardwood framed with an upgraded stock crossover. I’ve also add Linaeum tweeters that I wish more out there would try. Since my original posting of the tweeter mod, I read andyr’s thread on the goals of isolating his ribbons on his Frankenpans. I ended up removing the Linaeum’s from the top of the speaker frame and isolated them on some sand filled PVC. This took those little tweeters to a new level of clarity and openness. Well, enough of where I was before your tweak.

I’ve had my SMGa’s for about two years and they have had the Full Razor tweak on for two weeks.

I used four 10”x10” sheets of the Cascade product. For my SMGa’s, I fell a bit short of being able to completely cover the metal frame on the back of the driver. I started with the pole piece since I already had hardwood frames. I used a metal ruler, simple razor blade in a plastic holder, the kind that you find in the paint section of the hardware store. My project took about a half dozen blades. I found that as blades got dull, my cuts got sloppy and the adhesive would begin to spread out widening the cut strips. It took me about five hours to complete the project.

The one area of weakness was the ability of my speakers to play relaxed at high volume levels. I’m not saying that they could not play loud. They just sounded a bit strained when playing rock and roll at high volume levels. I at times questioned my amps but could not convince myself that they were the culprit. The Full Razor tweak remedied this issue. My amps can now deliver what they have been trying to do for some time. The SMGa can deliver concert hall volume levels more effortlessly. I’m not saying that there is no longer room for improvement but it’s a major step in the right direction.

When I first began to listen after the Full Razor was complete, I found that I was listening to my music at higher volume levels. The funny thing was that at first, I did not realize this because the presentation was so quiet. There was just more there as this gives you the ability to hear the nuances and minute details that can make a listen experience more intimate. Some will say that this is a trait of all Magnepan’s which I agree with, but your mod takes this to the next level.

Music now comes from a much quieter background and imaging believe it or not improves as instruments have more air around them. All sounds are now much more defined and relaxed. This all makes sense as the dampening prevents the pole piece from vibrating and minimizes details from smearing into each other.

I assumed that Razoring my speakers would clean up the bass but was pleasantly surprised how it improved the upper mid range as well.

Full Razoring your Maggie’s in my opinion is on par to hardwood frames to upgrading Magnepan’s stock crossover with better components to adding a pair on Linaeum tweeters.

Thanks again DR for sharing your incredible find.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.