Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

"IIRC you also used bolts and a channel to hold your drivers in place??" ...

Indeed I did, DR. here's a pic of how it was done:

That was with my stock IIIa MDF frames - where the drivers were mounted from the back. When I moved to woodies for my IIIas, because I mounted the drivers from the front, I didn't want to cut the rebate that they sit in as deep as it would need to be to accept these steel angles (without the bolt heads poking out the sock), because this would mean the rebate for the ribbon flanges would also have to be deeper, to get the ribbon lined up with the mylar.

So I used 5 screws each side of the bass/mid driver assembly - and gave the steel angles to Steve Knarr who is using them on his IIIas! :-))

With my Frankenpans, following on from Davey's suggestion that the more constant tension along the driver edge, the better (which my "steel angle trick" certainly did deliver!) I have used 7 screws on each side of the bass driver and the mid driver (which are on separate sheets of mylar and therefore have separate frames).

So the screws are only 9" apart ... which I reckon is adequate. So, no, I think it cannot be said that Aussies always "overdo" things!! :-))

Regards,

Andy

Edits: 06/04/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.