Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

If you really want to open up a can of worms in this very forum.....

...try asking this question:

With the assumption that the computer is somewhat new within a few years, 100% functional with no issues, and not a broken down sluggish virus infected clunker ready for Goodwill......

- Which makes the most noticeable difference in sound, trying various computer tweaks including different operating systems, linear vs switching power supply, no fan vs fan, shielded SATA cables or not, operating system 'slimming', etc. -OR- the various choices in Async USB DACs on the market? So which makes the biggest difference?

Unfortunately, my answer ruffles the feathers and upsets the small but vocal tweak of the week culture that lives in this forum. Nothing wrong with tweaking for improvements but the gains are small vs hearing the differences among several of the different DACs on the market.

It has been my experience that any given decent Async USB DAC pretty much retains it's characteristic sonic traits whether it's attached to a stock Dell running Windows XP, a Levono running Windows 7, or a Mac running OS X Mountain Lion, etc. Move that DAC to a variety of computers and it will sound pretty much the same regardless. Take another DAC that sounds different than the first one, and move it to various computers and it too retains it's sonic character. They don't magically change like chameleons and take on the 'character' of the computer.

Take this a step further and tweak a computer to death vs running it 'stock'. The DAC itself will still have the bigger influence over the system sound (keeping the other downstream components constant of course). A tweak here and there might improve things slightly but the change is not going to be as big as trying a totally different DAC.

A rolled off, veiled, and dynamically challenged DAC on computer A doesn't become dynamic, transparent, and extended on computer B.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.