Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Define "well built"

BG:

I am not really sure which of the very long list of tweaks and "optimizations" are really necessary, but I think it IS good to get rid of the glaring errors and problems in the OS and software. Minimizing services and start-up programs is important, as is preventing a lot of software from "auto updating" and interrupting a listening session.

It would not be hard to A/B compare two different computers with a USB DAC at all.

At the end of the day, it's the listening that matters. Our ears and our perception of sound is all that matters. Some even admit to being okay with placebo effect, if the effect is a positive one! That used to drive me crazy, but now I get it. The placebo, much like the tweak that actually "does something" is, like all other tweaks, a means to an end: better PERCEIVED sound!

So even if a tweak has only placebo effect, in my mind it has value if it (a) gives the user some enjoyment in the tweaking process and (b) actually results in him perceiving better sound! ;)

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.