Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: In audio or in traditional network rendering?

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that the new standards for studio audio use TCP. Audio is transferred in hard real-time with absolutely minimal buffering as would be required for sound on sound studio use. (I haven't studied the protocols as the standards are beyhind a paywall.)

One thing is pretty clear, and that is that the Squeezebox protocol is source independent. Once you buffer ahead sufficiently, you can pull the plug and power down the source, playing out of memory on the Squeezebox. At this point there will be little scope for the source to affect the sound quality. (Or maybe not, but if you go there then it is only a small step to worrying about the Ethernet cable at the HDtracks sever to the HDtracks router. Personally, I worry more about the record label shysters marshaling the files that get uploaded to the server.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.