Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: "network rendering, streamers, music servers, mini computers"

Yep, John Swenson has called this packet noise (maybe packet jitter?) & it is really the result of the receiver chips self generated noise when packets arrive & processing of these packets occurs. The concept being that this burst of processing causes a current draw on the PS which can effectively result in noise on the PS/ground plane & this noise effecting other parts of the system that are also using this PDN (power Distribution Network).

One way of addressing this is to read the whole audio file into local RAM at the DAC & closing down the connection before processing of the audio file from RAM by the DAC chip.

Another way would be to attempt to kill any possible PDN noise when processing this bursty data

Or a final way, might be to ensure the packet bursts do not have a frequency that effects the audio band directly?

Edit: I see my points were already made - sorry for the noise :)
There may be another issue - the signal integrity of the waveform that represents the digital bits? Could a worse SI waveform result in a different sound to a good SI waveform because of similar processing issues in the receiving chip?

My thinking is that DACs connected to computers are effected by a mix of 3 possible issues:
- noise conducted via the wire connection (usually common mode)
- bursty packet self-generated noise
- signal integrity self-generated noise

Edits: 12/12/14 12/12/14 12/12/14 12/12/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "network rendering, streamers, music servers, mini computers" - jkeny 09:57:05 12/12/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.