Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: An insolent provocation .... if a usb dac is very well design (and built) the pc quality should not matter

Hi,

To give you a "datapoint", you can but commercial USB Extenders that send USB over optical fibre and handle 480MBPS (High Speed) and of course also isolate the signal.

All the ones available I have seen so far cost around 1,000 Euro Retail and there are not many options out there.

The Owen Corning Optical USB Cable starts around 300 USD per piece (likely 300 Euro if sold in Europe) and if employed correctly also isolates a single, self powered peripheral (e.g. DAC).

So if you are willing to pay that much you may isolate your DAC from the Computer without penalty (other than financial). I am waiting for one of the Owen Corning cables (they seem in short supply) to try.

Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.