Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: An insolent provocation .... if a usb dac is very well design (and built) the pc quality should not matter

No, I have no magic solution, just using multiple stages of isolation. I think the bulk can be done with optical isolators. I suspect pulse transformers will work as well, depending on the signal coding due to the problem of passing DC. The last stages of buffering will require hard flip flops and very very careful power and ground distribution.

The first problem is to characterize the situation, i.e. to see what people are hearing and how sensitive they are. Then the second part of the problem is to figure out how to measure this reliably, including measuring isolation from the source.

If I were you, I would look for people who design high speed crypto equipment (red black separation). They probably have this problem pretty well nailed, since their goal includes preventing any information from leaking other than the intended bits.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.