Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: An insolent provocation .... if a usb dac is very well design (and built) the pc quality should not matter

I agree. The DAC should be designed so that it sounds the same regardless of the source of the data it is using (assuming the source can at least provide the data at the required rate).

This leaves two jobs for the DAC (as far as receiving the data):
1. It should be able to overcome any timing problems with the incoming data (i.e. it has no dependency on the speed at which the data is being transmitted)...otherwise known as buffering.
2. It should be reasonably well isolated from the notoriously noisy USB connection.

With such a DAC, the computer, the software, and the storage device(s) (and connections to them) should be irrelevant. On the other hand, if you are using a DAC that seems to sound better depending on what software you use, or which brand of computer, or storage device, or USB cable...you've got a bad DAC.

Edits: 12/10/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: An insolent provocation .... if a usb dac is very well design (and built) the pc quality should not matter - Scrith 17:53:32 12/10/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.