Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: But

"M1.2's output varies with output power with the Hi-Z bias setting into loads varying from 2 to 16 ohms. The amplifier comfortably exceeds its rated output power, giving out 180W into 8 ohms (22.6dBW), 305W into 4 ohms (21.8dBW), and 490W into 2 ohms (20.9dBW), all at 1% THD."

Now, on what planet is that an incapable amplifier? The M1.1 gives similiar numbers but was not tested in the same way as the M1.2 (TJN only tested the low impedance on the low impedance settings). Therefore, I give you the M1.2 numbers.

"For comparison, fig.5 shows what happens with Lo-Z output-stage biasing: the maximum output power is almost halved, but the signal benefits from significantly lower distortion into low impedances. "

Yes, power is halved but the amount of Class A into the lower loads is increased. STill it delivers over 200 watts into 2 ohms. What isn't tested is power at 1 ohm but LAMM itself states that in the LowZ mode it will produce 400watts into 1 ohm...more than enough to give Scintillas a kick. Given that a Krell KMA 100 can generate 94db and also makes around 400 watts into 1 ohm I would says that the LAMM can do similar.

Regardless, the sound from the Thiels, a MUCH easier drive than Scintillas and much higher sensitivity also did not sound as good as expected...when I said not more than 30 watts I was referring to Thiels, not Scintillas...I know you like to forget but I will remind you one last time I am talking about FOUR different loudspeakers...not just Scintillas.

"My B-weighted estimate on its tweeter axis, assessed with DRA Labs' MLSSA system, was slightly above that figure, at 90.7dB(B)/2.83V/m."

So they are 90db/3 ohm speakers:

Let's say it takes 2.5 watts to make 90db from ONE speaker...two = 93db. Drop in room of about the same gives 90db at the listening position for 2.5 watts:
90db = 2.5 watts
93db = 5 watts
96db = 10 watts
99db = 20 watts
102db = 40 watts

Now, I can tell you for certain that we were not listening with peaks above 99db...this is too loud for my comfort. Average levels were in the low to mid 80s with peaks in the mid-90s, therefore, I can state that we were almost certainly using less than 30 watts.

So, to reiterate, there is plenty of Juice from the LAMMS and stereophile's measurements bear that out for all kinds of speakers...IMO it just doesn't sound as good as one would hope for that kind of money. If you think it does then more power to you.

"i would have to assume you have an agenda "

Based on what deduction have your reached this odd conclusion?? That I didn't like the sound of the amp? Is that now grounds for "agendas"?? Seriously??

In case you haven't noticed, rags are not big on negative comments like I have given...so your point is simply wrong.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.