Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I disagree with your assessment

Technically clueless?? Hardly. Not sure what you mean by rotational science because I am looking at the numbers rather directly.

I have tested gear and have digital oscilloscope and access to a THD meter and computer based measurement tools.

Now to the meat of this disagreement. Stereophile's measurements.

I quote:

"In this figure, it's clear that, with the impedance switch set to the most appropriate setting, the M1.1 puts out almost identical power into both 4 and 8 ohms."

The main point to point of this quote is impedance swich set to the most appropriate setting. What do you think that switch is doing?? Obviously the amp does not have output transformers so it is adjusting the voltage/current delivery of the power supply. It is keeping the amp in Class A for these two impedances and as a result the power output is the same.

" Lamm M1.1, distortion (%) vs output power into (from bottom to top at 1W): 8 ohms (impedance switch set to 6–8 ohms), 4 ohms, and 2 ohms (both with impedance switch set to 1–6 ohms)."

With these settings the power into 4 ohms is 138W into 4 ohms (18.4dBW) (114V line); and in 2 ohms it is 230W into 2 ohms (17.6dBW) (115V line).

Now, please explain to me how you consider " it current limits tremendously into 2 ohm," when it is producing nearly double the power into 2 ohms...please explain how nearly DOUBLE the power constitutes current limiting. Seriously enough of the claiming I am clueless and start proving your BS. The data doen't support your claims!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I disagree with your assessment - morricab 13:13:41 12/03/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.