Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Have to take the Lamm M1.1 off my list

Of course I measure things...I gave you reviews where they were measured as well.

I have a calibrated microphone and SPL meter built into my Behringer DEQ2496 and I have a digital scope and Fluke multi-meter...plus computer based measurement systems.

Please see my review a few years ago on the Piega C2 ltd.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/piega.htm

You will see speaker measurements I made for this speaker.

"Anyway, you apparently don't understand the kneeing effect on the sonic structure of an amplifier "

Of course I do, but I also understand that one's sensitvity to distortion decreases with high SPL levels... if you had read Cheever you would know this as well.

"and worse you think that the lamm is operating in class-a @ 2 ohm at 250 watts. :)
"

No, I made it clear that it is NOT operating in Class A at 2 ohms. I said it was operating in Class A at 8 or 4 ohms depending on the settings...Now you are resorting to trying to falsify what I said before?? Sad.

"I will suggest you start measuring and stop with the conjecture"

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. In my room my Acoustats only dropped by 2 db from just in front of the speaker to the listening position 3.5 meters away...that's right just 2 db drop.

Note that Apogee is giving sensitivty ratings at 3 and 4M distance...line sources and room reflections mean much less drop than with conventional speakers...so this is an effective sensitivity...now add a second speaker and my numbers are realistic enough.

Have you ever owned Apogees or a big electrostat? Seems like you haven't. I and my friends have had Dozens of these kinds of speakers with dozens of different amps...I know what I am talking about and you are the one conjecturing.

My big Acoustats measured, in-room, only +-2db from 200Hz to 15Khz. Below they were affected by room modes and above there was a natural in-room rolloff...I measure ALL My speakers and I know how they behave.

"Less say your rotational science is off and it is and the apps only need 16 watts for 88 db( reasonable) "

A duetta Signature was MEASURED by Martin Colloms to have 86db. A pair at 1 meter gives 89db. Now give they are a nearly flat 4 ohm load this means 2 watts to reach 89db at 1 meter.

Now at 4 meters in a ROOM you will have a drop of maybe 4db with a line source speaker.

So
85 db = 2 watts
88 db = 4 watts
91 db = 8 watts
94 db = 16 watts
97 db = 32 watts
100 db = 64 watts
103 db = 128 watts
106 db = 256 watts

88 dB with 12 - 18 db headroom would be 64 - 256 watts. However, this doesn't account for the fact that with Classical music 88db is not a reasonable average level...it is far lower usually. Rock music at an average 88db will be loud and have not nearly as much dynamic range due to the application of compression. Any way you slice it the Duetta Signatures in a normal room at a normal distance will play at least 100db with a 100 watt 4 ohm capable amp.

Divas will play even louder with the same power because they are actually MORE sensitive than Duetta Signatures...with about the same impedance.

"Stereophile:

"Unfortunately, 1-ohm capable amplifiers don't grow on test benches. You tend to be restricted to the Adcom GFA-555, Krells, Belles, and Classes. Sending too little power into the Scintilla at 1-ohm makes them sound recessed in the midrange, muted, and lacking in deep bass. The result is all depth and mid-bass, and no presence. Other than the amps I found, I don't know what to tell you. Every amp will be an experiment. Don't go by the amps ability to drive a 1-ohm resistor"

"

THis is old and well before the LAMM came on the market. I will quote again:
"The M1.2 Reference is conservatively rated to deliver 110 Watts into 8 and 4 Ohms in pure class A operation (high and low impedance settings, respectively); 220 Watts into 2 Ohms, and 400 Watts into 1 Ohm (low impedance setting), continuous. The M1.2 Reference can drive any known speaker. The harmonic structure remains intact regardless of the speaker load, while the extreme clarity is maintained at all power levels.
"

The same was true for the M1.1.

400 watts into 1 ohm is not sufficient? Whatever...

" Lamm is the harmonic structure from running all these under powered amplifiers into clipping, obvious you "

What a load of nonsense! A) I don't listen at high levels normally and B) Clipping NEVER ever sounds good. All of these amps handle peaks far better than you think and since the average is very low I am quite sure I am not running into trouble...

My Friend had before his Octave monos, had McIntosh MC501s (same system with the THiels we were testing). Those have big relatively accurate power meters. He listens MUCH louder on average than I do (maybe as much as 10db on average louder but that is only a guess). We found that his needles with compressed recordings were not going above a couple of watts. With uncompressed music at loud levels we were PEAKING at around 50 watts (they have a peak hold function) and peak levels well above 100db.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.