Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: But

Cab ,

Im not saying you are Full , i don't have to , you're doing a good job of it, unfortunately for you i have experience working with scinnies , ribbons in general and loudspeakers on a whole ( past design work ) , here's Audio Mag take on the scinnies, mirrors mine..

"However, this gorgeous sound comes at a price. Presented with the Scintilla's 1-ohm load, distinctly outside manufacturers' ratings, a number of fine amps took on unpredictable sonic characteristics. Greenhill's reference Levinson ML-9 stereo amplifier which usually plays with a neutral midrange and a big, dynamic bass-became sweeter, tube-like, and mellow (not unwelcome, by the way!) until its current limiting cut in (at clipping) with a spray of static. The dual-mono Tandberg 3009As, which Greenhill had found to be fast, detailed amps with etched highs, took on a bass emphasis and acquired a stronger midrange presence. Both amps can deliver more than 400 watts into 4 ohms, and Tandberg claims more than 800 watts output at 1 ohm. But neither could drive the Scintillas on peaks to more than 88 dB (at 1 meter) in Kachalsky's normally upholstered living room.

The speakers were then reconfigured to a 4-ohm load. Seven color-coded wires were repositioned on the rear of the speaker terminals and on a separate terminal strip within the enclosure. This 30-minute procedure must be done carefully for each speaker, since the hardware can easily slip down into the nylon sock that covers the rear of the enclosure. It also helps to have good color vision (both authors are colorblind, so we acknowledge the help of Mrs. Kachalsky) to place the purple, green, and gray wires on the correct terminals. At 4 ohms, the authors heard no sonic aberrations in the amplifiers, but the Scintillas lacked the ultimate naturalness, air, openness, and midrange clarity heard with the 1ohm configuration. You won't realize this unless you have heard them driven at the lower impedance setting.

We preferred the very expensive Krell mono KMA-100 ($4,900/pair) and 200watt KMA-200 ($7,500/pair) amplifiers for driving the Scintillas. We used them in a bi-amplified fashion (a pair of KMA-100s for midrange and tweeter, a pair of KMA-200s for the woofers), which produced the widest dynamic range. At 1 ohm, the KMA-100 is claimed to deliver 800 watts per channel and the KMA-200 puts out 1,600 watts per channel. A single pair of Krells were "bi-wired" (two speaker cables connected to each amplifier output terminal) to each Scintilla's double set of speaker posts: SPL measurements showed Scintilla output peaks of 94 dB (KMA-100s) and 98 dB (KMA-200s) at audible clipping. No change in tonal character or sudden presence effects were heard at 1 ohm-just sweet, open, detailed sound. Dan D'Agostino, the Krells' designer, uses the Apogees as a test load. The Class� Audio DR-3 amp also performs beautifully at the low-impedance setting."

-Audio 1985

So i will iterate , the Lamm is not the amp for that job there is no way to listen to scinnies or any low sensitivity low -z ribbon with less than 400-800 watts /ch, to do so will net a lame soft sound , devoid of dynamics and realism of size. To do with 30 watts would mean a listening level din of 72- 74db with dynamic peaks not exceeding 10db, far below the levels necessary for realism of sound ..

Since you did not measure nor able to say more than this amp is off "my list" i would have to assume you have an agenda , sadly audio today is cluttered with nothing more than opinionated rags and "reviewers "

Regards

Edits: 12/08/14 12/08/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.