Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Have to take the Lamm M1.1 off my list

It IS tilted up a bit at least in my friend's listening room so it will exaccerbate issues already in the electronics.

I am not a fan of Verity speakers. A friend of mine had the Rinezis and they got crushed by a 20 year old pair of Reference 3a Master Control MMCs. This friend found a pair after hearing mine and fell in love with the sound. I heard his Verity speakers and it was no contest.

Also, I have heard the big Sarastro a couple of times and IMO, it is not a well designed speaker...coherence between the drivers is sorely lacking...you can even see this in the Stereophile measurements,which are quite poor for a speaker so expensive.

The Parsifal did sound nice one time when I heard it with the big Nagra 845 tube amps. That was with a big R2R tape deck as well. Since then though I have become much more attuned to coherence in speakers and it is likely I would not be impressed with the Parsifal any longer.

The Thiel is far more coherent and integrated soundwise. In this respect, it beats out most multi-driver speakers.

Really the best sound we got was the VAC30/30, which also sounded surprisingly bright until it warmed up and then it was simply astounding. It is right at the top of my list for push/pull amps (I am still a SET guy though). The amp belongs to the friend with the other pair of Master control MMC...nice combo!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.