Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: My Hat's Off To You Brad!

"What does LAMM use as their reference speakers?" Who cares? Based on what I have heard from Mr. Lamm it seems he designs the amps without any particular voicing to speakers but to his own supposed listening models. His amp is capable of driving all speakers easily.

"When judging a specific component I want to hear the specific component at least 3 times with three different systems attached in three different (appropriate) rooms.
"

Spare me your dogma, ok? I have A LOT of experience with Apogees (three different models...does that count...all with different load and sensitivity characteristics) and now these Thiels as well and we have heard A LOT of different amps on these speakers (well over a dozen between all the friends). Two of the three Apogee models are relatively easy to drive (Studio Grand is an easy 5 ohm load with 87db sensitivity and the Centaur Major is simliar...only the Scintialla is a hard to drive 1 ohm but the LAMM can do so easily). Thiels should pose no matching problems for an amp that can easily drive Scintillas.

The point is that all of these speakers in question are super revealing and have allowed us to clearly identify what the electronics are doing in the system. The LAMM in this context is a let down and therefore I expect it will be likewise in other systems...the underlying characteristics didn't change depending on the system from what I heard.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.