Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Thiel and Vac

Well KeithR, the Thiel CS3.6 is 4db lower in sensitivity (86db vs. 90db) than the CS3.7 with a similar quite low overall impedance like the CS3.7. That 4db is the difference in power between the VAC 30/30 and the 70/70. So, if the 70/70 was adequate for the CS3.6 then the 30/30 should be (and was) adequate for the CS3.7.

FWIW, I was listening at moderate to moderately high levels through a pair of Mezzo Utopia Be at a dealer's home outside London and my 30 watt KR Audio VA350i was sounding heavenly and had zero issues with the impedance or dynamics. We also hooked up a Jadis Defy 7 MKIII that also sounded damn nice but not any more powerful despite being 100 solid watts. No problem for the KR.

It all comes down to the level you want to listen at...we peak out usually well under 100db even in the louder sessions (I personally alone listen much quieter than that). I tend to choose my gear based on how it will sound at lower levels, which I must listen at more often than I can listen loud.

" I have 100db/8ohm Zu speakers (which you should hear)- I feel they are best at 15-20 watts minimum for normal rooms."

THis probably has nothing to do with power...that level of power could drive you from the room screaming OR you listen very loud indeed. How big is your definition of a "normal room"?

I have a pair of Ref 3as with about 92db and they will play very loud with my JJ 322 parallel 300B amp (15 clean watts...i.e. < 1% distortion). At normal levels the magic eyes are barely seen to be moving. With my 98db Odeons they will play almost rock concert loud in my room.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.