Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I disagree with your assessment

Yes, I'm nuts. Does that make the truth easier to take?

Didn't think so.

The short of it.
Speakers are NOT resistive, as a general rule. They range from slightly capactive or inductive to fairly large extremes of 'reactance'. Large phase angles at the same place as large impedance dips are deadly to any but the more robust amp designs.
Power amps with the SAME RMS power, as measured into a resistor, vary WIDELY in their ability to drive reactive loads. The greater the difference between voltage and current peaks, the WORSE it is.

When voltage and current are 90 degrees apart, NO power is delivered to the load. I've never even heard of this in a loudspeaker. I don't think this is possible in a sound transducer.

What we're talking about here is called 'Power Factor'. Here is the WIKI link which will explain it in general terms. Europe, for example has strict rules on power factor, especially for all those millions of wall warts powering or charging cellphones to lap tops. If you owned a factory, you could be charged a PREMIUM on your electric bill for large power factor usage. You USE VA but get billed for WATTS. Same on your stereo. Speakers use VA, but the amp produces Watts, which are basically from a resistive measure.
PF=1 is pure resistive.

Too much is never enough

Edits: 12/03/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.