Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: For Clarification

With two channel stereo you need maybe a 2-6 dB downtilt in your target curve for large ensemble works, particularly for performances recorded from too close, as almost all are. The exception would be spaced omni or Blumlein recordings, not common these days, they'll give you a Row A balance if flown a the front of the stage. Some speakers have this rolloff built in, others not. The IIIa's seem to have a mild downtilt in that measurement.

Agree that a recess in the presence region will indeed make the sound more laid back, and also increase subjective depth. With most commercial recordings I find that welcome, since they tend to have a presence boost. But it's still a coloration.

Since they have better power response than the dynamic tweeters used in mixing, true ribbon Maggies can sound too bright with commercial recordings. The IIIa's will likely sound too bright. They'll want some absorptive room treatment, particularly with commercial recordings, doubly so with studio pop.

I just tried putting the Apogee curve into Foobar. It's merely an approximation, but it's enough to give you a sense of what you'll hear with this kind of curve. Try some acoustical bass, it's interesting to hear what happens subjectively even without any bass emphasis at 30 Hz, owing to the hollowing out from 100-300. Subjective highs are more effected by an-axis than power response, so this will tend to exaggerate the difference between the tweeters, and if the tweeters you use are rolled off it won't give you the subjective brightness of the Maggies. For that reason, I backed off on the high-end EQ and wouldn't in any case read too much about what happens in the top octave.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: For Clarification - josh358 11:47:48 05/17/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.