Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

The Magnepan's resonant behaviour is more complex than you think. The tension is varied from top to bottom, the diaphragm are supported at various points, spreading the resonancies further. The bass panels of the Tympanies are spread from 40 Hz and upwards. The Apogee use to have the lowest at 30 Hz and up to 45 Hz (Caliper is tuned slightly higher), the tension of the diaphragm is about the same from top to bottom, the width makes the difference. To my ears the Apogee Caliper used to have a bit of a one note bass, Duetta's less and the Diva not at all. Maybe it had to do with what kind of amplification was used but most of the damping should come from the airload of such a large driver, or? Caliper and Duetta were rolled of at higher frequencies. The Caliper was an interesting speaker as it offered an almost fullrange frequency response in a small package. I never really liked the sound of the smaller Magnepan. I think we should compare models within its price categories. Did Scintilla compare to Tympani IVa in its day?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.