Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

AHHH I see the problem you are having Lew, the amp in question is NOT the ML1.1 it is the M1.1. Big difference. The ML1.1 is a 90 watt Push pull tube amp with the 6C33C output tube. You are right it would not drive the Scintilla, at least not to a significant volume level.

The amp I am referring to is one of Lamm's hybrid amps, which are solid state on the output and running in Class A. It gives 110 Watts into either 8 or 4 ohms (depending on the power supply bias switch) and can most certainly drive 1 ohm without issue. Blame Lamm for having two very different amps with nearly the same name.

I think with the right speaker the ML1.1 (tubed) will sound better than the M1.1 (hybrid) but for a Scintilla the later is really the only choice.

As to the Silvaweld phonostage. What can I say, they are great. I have the SWH-650, which is a single ended version of yours. Mine also has the powersupply inboard but it is all tube (rectified, regulated etc.). As far as I know the 650 was never a full production item...mine might even be one-of-a-kind. Yours has a volume control as well I think and mine does not. Do you run it direct into your amp? If not, what are you using for a preamp? I would recommend the Silvaweld SWC-1000. After hearing one again last weekend I seriously regret selling mine. I will never sell the phonostage...I simply haven't heard better. I would like to hear the big Allnic audio sometime though to see if Mr. Park has somehow improved on the Silvaweld gear. Somehow I don't think he has.

I was privileged to hear the ultimate Silvaweld preamp a couple of times. It is called the Aphrodite and is bigger than a lot of amplifiers! What a machine and what a power supply (makes even the substantial power supply in the SWC-1000 look puny). Same simple one tube circuit with a tube current sournce. Bigger output transformers. Massive machined aluminum case. About a dozen tubes in the power supply and huge banks of caps. A couple of big chokes as well. Exotic output tube (WE 437A but can be substituted with the Russian 6c45Pi). Btw, the SWC-1000 uses the WE 417A, great sounding tube when used properly.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.