Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

Lots of reasons that could be so. Quasi ribbon drivers cost more to manufacture, and AFAIK the 20.7 now has quasi ribbon woofers (anyone know for sure?). The new crossover components, while fewer, are of better quality. And costs change with time, e.g., with inflation, or changing market conditions vs. fixed overhead.

Or maybe Mark Winey just has to have a few more Greek islands.

Actually, Mark doesn't even own his company's top-of-the-line model. Mark was very open about their cost structure -- so surprisingly open in fact that Wendell asked me not to repeat the figures. Of course, I'll respect that, but I do wish everyone could have that discussion with Mark, because it would help them fathom the economics of running a consumer electronics operation. A lot of people don't know how cost sensitive consumer electronics manufacturing is. Every $1 part, every minute of labor affects the selling price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday - josh358 10:17:15 05/15/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.